Hamstead Junior School was opened on April 19th 1937, with children walking down from the antiquated St Paul's school which was on the corner of Spouthouse Lane and the Hamstead Road. The school was built on the edge of the growing community, and in close proximity to the working colliery that provided employment for many.
The school has grown as Hamstead and Great Barr have grown. The school log books show the rise and dip in numbers, with new schools at Gorse Farm, Grove Vale and Tanhouse all built to deal with the large numbers of children that lived and now live in our area. All of these schools grew from the pupils of Hamstead.
The publication below was put together by a small team of Year 6 children, the Chair of Governors, Mrs Howard and Head Teacher, Mr Bowen, and was published in 2017 to commemorate the 80th anniversary. We hope that any viewers enjoy the contents.